Saturday, September 27, 2008

Atlas Peak - Cabernet On Spring Mountain at 1750 ft. Looking North

This morning I started the day in the Spring Mountain District. We source from two vineyards up here. One vineyard sits at 1,750 ft elevation and the other at 1,050 ft. Both of these vineyards have east facing aspects, which means that they have good morning exposure as the sun rises and cooler evenings as the sun sets behind the Mayacamas range and Spring Mountain. Spring Mountain is where the vision for our label materialized. It was an early morning when I set out to walk the vineyards that day. I had arrived before daylight and sat in my truck to watch the sun rise over Atlas Peak. Napa Valley below was fogged in and there I sat above the fog line at the peak of the mountain which is the unique point of difference for our brand. Today you see this image of the mountain above the fog line captured on our label.

Today I started out walking through both Spring Mountain vineyards. As I walked through the vineyard I sampled grapes from many of the vines looking for the mature flavors of Cabernet Sauvignon. For me these flavors include blackberry, blueberry, ripe plum and cherry. Cabernet Sauvignon usually starts out with herbal and green flavor like green beans and bell pepper but as the flavors mature these green characters disappear and move towards more berry and red fruit flavors.

After walking the Spring Mountain District vineyards I decided that the grapes are very close to harvesting. We will pick the block at 1750 ft. on Monday first, and then possibly pick the grapes from the other block on Wednesday. I will be back to walk that vineyard on Monday to make that final call.

Monday we will visit our first wine lot of the year from the Atlas Peak Vineyards, block 65.

Until Monday…

Darren Procsal
Winemaker
Atlas Peak

No comments: